Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Sundries - Met Store edition

This is what I do all day: I stand on a Terrazzo floor, talk to ladies from the midwest about their grandchildren, and build displays.

Cut paper skyline.
This is a two foot high wood veneer block at the top of the stairs, I put children's books about New York City on it. Sometimes people buy them.

Squirrel.
This is a portable easel with drawers full of art supplies. This is what it looks like with art on it. Why a squirrel? Why not a squirrel?


Photoclip Mobile.
Yes, it's poorly photographed. And yes, it's been up for eight months and has not contributed to the sale either of the mobile or the jar full of pompoms, pipe cleaners and streamers from which the elements are constructed. But dammit it's the first thing I made when I got to the children's department and you're going to look at it. You can see the owl at the center (giant pompom, pipe cleaner, card stock). I'll take better pictures of everything else.


Glambrella.
This an under-lit corner between the t-shirt display and the handicapped elevator. It's where we display over-priced, poorly made color-it-in crafts for 8-11 year old girls. The crafts have slightly disturbing conspicuous-consumption overtones and anti-feminist undertones. I scaled up the patterns on those projects, drew them in Sharpie and colored them in with color-change markers. It brightens up the area nicely. I've code-named it "Operation: Lure Children into Dark Corners".


More coming. I've photographed my big (i.e good) displays too and I'll be posting them soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment